Each year over 20,000 people go to the ER as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning. This colorless, odorless gas is referred to as the silent killer because it’s practically undetectable without a carbon monoxide detector.
Carbon monoxide, according to the CDC, is produced by stoves, gas ranges, boilers, furnaces, and fireplaces so it only makes sense that carbon monoxide poisoning increases during the winter months when people are trying to heat their homes. To help keep you safe, Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning is here with a few tips to safety heat your home.
- Install a CO detector on all floors of your home and swap out the batteries yearly.
- Keep all possible sources of combustion, such as clothing, rugs, or bedding, a distance over three feet away from furnaces, space heaters, fire places, or stoves.
- Before igniting a fire in the fireplace, make sure you check to ensure the chimney damper is open and unblocked.
- Do not leave portable heaters or fireplaces unwatched. Power off space heaters and make sure all embers in the fireplace are completely extinguished before leaving either heating source unattended.
- Space heaters should always be placed on the floor, and on a hard, fire-resistant surface, like concrete or tile. Keep children and animals away from space heaters.
- When purchasing a new space heater, invest in a model that powers off automatically if the heater falls over.
- Never use a stove to increase the temperature in your home.
- Have fireplaces, chimneys, gas or oil furnaces, and coal and wood stoves professionally inspected and cleaned annually.
The best thing you can do for your heating equipment is to ensure it’s not only ready to keep your home warm all winter but also safe, is to call for your furnace tune-up. During your furnace tune-up, Service Experts will check to make sure your heating equipment is operating safely with a total multi-point inspection and cleaning. Call 801-871-8425 today and learn how you can save on a furnace tune-up through November 25th.