When rough weather comes our way, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a lot of repercussions. Staying safe and protecting your home are your highest priorities, but did you know there are opportunities for you to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm passes, your AC repair technician will give you the a-okay?
Taking even a small bit of time to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm strikes can help you prevent damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you arrange for an AC repair professional to check your system afterwards, they can probably provide you with good news that your preparations were worth the time.
At Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning, we know that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for threatening weather, and time may not give you much notice, so we’ve put together a a checklist of what you can do before and after a severe weather event takes place.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are commonplace during bad weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to ensure it is fully off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover has the ability to keep away any debris that gets tossed around during threatening weather. Just be sure you have turned the system completely off in advance of covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Make sure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are put away in a protected place so that they don’t get tossed about during the bad weather.
- Clear the debris. Once it is alright to head out of your home, make sure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you notice any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly check out your system and figure out whether or not an AC repair is a necessity.
Of course we all hope that severe weather doesn’t hit us in Salt Lake City, but we have to be prepped if we want the best chance to avoid any major damage or other problems that might come with it. If you have any questions about how to best prepare for threatening weather in Salt Lake City or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has come and gone, give us a call at 801-871-8425 or schedule an appointment with Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning through our online scheduler.