How Do You Check for Carbon Monoxide?

There are a multitude of gases that could be inside your Salt Lake City home. Natural gas and vapors that come from residential fixtures, carpet and paints. Not one of them are as hazardous as carbon monoxide.

Get in touch with Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning at 801-871-8425 now to get started protecting your residence against this dangerous gas.

Why is Carbon Monoxide so Bad?

Carbon monoxide may be a serious issue, so it’s not a thing to mess around with.

1. You Can’t Smell It

Carbon monoxide is life-threatening because you can’t view it, detect it with your nose or taste it. It’s not as dangerous in small concentrations and can’t be purified.

2. It Can Be Lethal After Only Minutes

Carbon monoxide is a byproduct of used fuel. It can get into your home during the winter if the heat exchanger on your gas furnace breaks. Depending on how large the leak is and the circulation in a home, carbon monoxide may become lethal in just a few minutes.

Once taken in, carbon monoxide has a half-life of around five hours. If you are inhaling pure air, it will take five hours to get it out of your bloodstream. You will need another five hours to decrease that level by half.

3. Carbon Monoxide Reaction Can Act Like Other Illnesses

The gas can also mimic symptoms that can be confused with the flu, viral infections and chronic fatigue syndrome, among other illnesses.

How to Guard Your Residence from Carbon Monoxide

There’s no reason to gamble with carbon monoxide poisoning.

Here are three steps you can take to keep your house safe:

  1. Each home with at least one gas furnace, connected garage or fireplace needs to have a carbon monoxide alarm. You should have a sensor on every level of your home, including the basement and garage. You also should have one installed inside or outside of every bedroom. Don’t use a carbon monoxide detector in your home?
    Call Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning at 801-871-8425 to get one. Ask our Experts about our affordable Wi-Fi carbon monoxide detectors.
  2. If you presently use a carbon monoxide alarm, regularly look at or put in new batteries. You should test batteries every 90 days, and get a new detector every three to five years.
  3. If your carbon monoxide detector goes off, exit your residence immediately and phone 911.

Protect Your Loved Ones with Help from Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning

Carbon monoxide doesn’t have to be frightening, and with the proper steps your family can be protected from the toxic gas. Take the necessary steps and call Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning at 801-871-8425 to learn more.