Carbon Monoxide (CO2) – How to Stop the Invisible Indoor Killer Published on February 11, 2015 According to a 2012 report by the National Fire Protection Association, fire departments respond to an average of 72,000 carbon monoxide incidents each year. Carbon Monoxide, or CO2, is a colorless, odorless gas by-product of burnt fuel. It’s commonly linked to wood stoves, car engines and other fire combustion sources such as gas or oil furnaces. Why is CO2 awareness so important? Carbon monoxide can be deadly; its that simple. CO2 is among the leading causes of accidental poisoning deaths in the US*, and conditions of CO2 poisoning can be mistakenly labeled as the flu, viral infections and prolonged fatigue, among many others. This makes CO2 poisoning an often hidden enemy that can be fatal over several years, or within just a few short hours. Severe poisoning takes place from intaking large concentrations of CO2, but poisoning may also happen gradually over many months or years. Some indicators may include nausea, vomiting, flu-like symptoms, dizziness and fatigue. How to protect your family from carbon monoxide? No home should be without a reliable, tested CO2 detector. You can phone Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning to purchase one today. Batteries should be checked on a consistent basis for existing CO2 detectors. It's also a good idea to replace the detector every 3-5 years. If you experience or have experienced some of the symptoms cited above, ask your doctor to test for carbon monoxide poisoning, and get a second opinion if necessary. *emedicinehealth.com. Prevention information for Carbon Monoxide poisoning may be inaccurate or incomplete; none of these methods guarantee prevention of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.